The author made the following key points:
- AMISOM is in need of a new mandate to enable it to support the new Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and its vision of security across the country.
- This mandate will need to be agreed between the African Union, United Nations, and the FGS.
- It should include support for the restructuring and empowerment of Somalia's National Security Forces.
- Al-Shabaab is losing fighters but still controls territory, and may be gaining ground in northern Somalia. Recovering territory and encouraging defectors from al-Shabaab will entail additional resources.
- AMISOM would benefit from predictable levels of funding, the required mission enablers such as air and maritime assets, as well as enhanced capabilities for analysis, planning, and management.
- International attention has been diverted from Somalia to other African crises, including Mali, the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, and the Central African Republic.