|Source: University of Witwatersrand journalism project|
It is a detailed investigation of a Chinese sisal farm in Tanzania run by China State Farm.
The story tries to answer the following questions:
- What is Chinese agriculture doing in Africa?
- What are the profits in African farming and what difficulties do farmers face?
- How do the managers run a farm in Africa, manage local employees and resolve disputes?
- Is the strategy of overseas land banking practical in reality?
- Is the aim of farming to alleviate poverty, to make profit or be strategic?