Edited by Roba Sharamo and Berouk Mesfin, it contains a wealth of information about the region by mostly African authors.
The chapters include:
- The Horn of Africa security complex.
- The Ethiopian-Eritrean War of 1998-2000.
- The causes and consequences of the Eritrean-Ethiopian border conflict.
- Regional and extra-regional inputs in promoting (in)security in Somalia.
- Unravelling the Islamist insurgency in Somalia.
- The failure of ‘making unity attractive’ in Sudan.
- Southern Sudan.
- Piracy off the coast of Somalia.
- Water conflict resolution and institution building in the Nile Basin.
- Eritrean-Yemeni relations.
- Not born as a de facto state (Somaliland).
- IGAD’s peace and security strategy.
- Keeping an elusive peace: AMISOM and the quest for peace in Somalia.
- Building a regional peacekeeping capacity: the challenges facing the African Union in Darfur.